The mission of the CHITTA Standing Committee on Physician
Office Systems is to foster, nurture and promote the use of information
and communication technology tools by practicing physicians and
their staff in a private office or clinic setting in order to:
- Enhance the effective and safe delivery of care
to their patients.
- Minimize the use of overhead resources to manage
- Improve the quality of life for patients and physicians
physicians and their staff
- Effectively communicate and share information with
the healthcare delivery system and government in a manner consistent
with ethical practice and prevailing principles and policies in
respect to security, privacy and confidentiality.
2 - Objectives
- To increase the size of the Physicianhysician
Office System market through promoting the Electronic Medical
Record (EMR) to physicians, healthcare professionals, associations,
government, and the consumer of health services
- To present a unified industry voice and consultation
vehicle for government, associations and policy makers.
- To promote and facilitate the establishment of
functionality standards, conformance testing and certification
processes, including privacy and security issues, so as to facilitate
a "level playing field" for POS vendors predicated
on quality assurance for the marketplace.
- To establish clear definitions as to the constituent
components of an EMR and functions associated with physicianhysician
office practice management systems.
- To monitor and report on the demographics and
growth of the POS vendor community and its constituent marketplace
for publication by CHITTA.
- To provide resources to stakeholders demonstrating
cost effectiveness and efficacy of the use of ICTs within the
- To ensure the development of secure electronic
sharing of patient information (with appropriate patient and
physician consent) between vendor systems through the use of
Canadian interoperability standards.
- To facilitate and support the marketing of the
Canadian POS vendor community within Canada and abroad.
3 - Membership
Membership in the Standing Committee on POS is limited
to members of CHITTA in good standing whose business activities
relate directly to:
- The provision of application software to the
POShysician community, and/or
- The provision of technology infrastructure in
support of Physicianhysician Office Systems and their interoperability
within the healthcare delivery system, and
The committee may invite affiliate and associate members
with a demonstrable direct professional interest to sit on the committee
in an observer capacity.
4 - Governance and Structure
2. Project Teams
- Officers of the Standing Committee on POS shall
be two co-chairs as appointed by the Board.
- Additional officers may be determined and selected
by members of the Standing Committee as deemed appropriate.
Where CHITTA enters into an agreement with a third
party, or upon the approval of a proposal by the Standing Committee,
the Committee may establish a "Project Team" to facilitate
the deliverables of the agreement or proposal. The following general
- The deliverables of the Project shall be formally
articulated and accepted by the Board of CHITTA
- Membership of the Project Team shall generally
consist of members of the Standing Committee on POS, notwithstanding
the foregoing, the Standing Committee may temporarily invite
other CHITTA members to join the Project Team for specific tasks
or purposes where deemed appropriate.
- The leadership of the Project Team shall be appointed,
as circumstances require.
- The Project Team may solicit and engage non-members
of CHITTA to act as Respondents to the Project Team in order
to facilitate broad industry-wide consultation.
5 - General
- The conditions of membership and ethical and
other considerations and responsibilities, as promulgated in
the CHITTA policy on Standing Committees, shall apply.
- Subject to the approval of the Board, the committee
may expand the scope of its constituents to include other healthcare
providers in a private office or clinic setting such as:
- Psychologists, and
- Other like professionals
Approved, CHITTA Board, October 17, 2002
Canada's Healthcare ICT Industry